MIDDLE SCHOOL ADMISSION/OPEN HOUSES
BluePrint Middle School - Virtual Open House on Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022, at 5:00 PM.
P: 718-822-2780 ext 1190
Twitter, Facebook, & Instagram: @BlueprintMS562
Join our 2021-2022 Blueprint Parent Email List https://forms.gle/uEpUudj451vyWDZ98
Feb. 16-10:00am & 7:30pm-MS101 Open House
10:00am & 7:30pm-MS101 Open House
Middle School Application Update
The middle school application period is now open, and the deadline to apply is March 1, 2022. If your child is both a New York City resident and current fifth grade student, be sure to apply by the deadline.
Here’s how to apply:
1. Log in to your MySchools.nyc account. You will use MySchools, the DOE’s online directory and application system, to explore middle schools and apply. Need help accessing your account?
- Public DOE or charter school students can talk to your child’s school counselor.
- Private or parochial school students can get support from a Family Welcome Center.
2. Learn about your child’s school options. You can apply to up to 12 programs with your child’s personalized middle school application.
- When you’re logged in to MySchools, your child’s customized search will feature all the middle school programs they’re eligible to attend. If your child is not eligible to apply to a program, that program will not appear as an option for their application.
- Learn about schools of interest on their MySchools pages, which include links and contact information. Save programs to your Favorites list by clicking the stars next to their names.
- Find out if middle schools are hosting any open houses or if they feature resources for prospective families by visiting their websites or contacting them directly.
- Add up to 12 choices to your child’s application. Be sure to list these choices in your true order of preference, with your first-choice program at the top as #1. There is no advantage to listing programs in any other order.
UPDATE! We're excited to announce that, starting with fall 2022 admissions, the DOE will phase in a sibling priority for middle school applicants. For students applying this winter who have a sibling in sixth grade, you will have priority to attend the same middle school as that sibling–learn more on our website.
3. Submit your application by March 1.
- You can apply one of three ways: online with MySchools, through your child’s current school counselor, or through a Family Welcome Center.
- If you apply online, you’ll get a receipt by email and in your MySchools account. If you apply through a counselor or Family Welcome Center, be sure to request a copy of your receipt.
Want to learn more? Visit our website, schools.nyc.gov/Middle, to get the most up-to-date admissions information, including how to know your child’s chances of getting an offer to specific programs. At the top of the page, our video playlist includes tutorials on how to set up your MySchools account and submit your child’s application.
Interested in auditions? Middle school arts programs will be inviting families to submit virtual auditions this year. To learn more about auditions, please visit our middle school audition website.
Need support? We’re here to help! Talk to your current school counselor, call 718-935-2009, or contact a Family Welcome Center.
The Middle School Admissions Team, Office of Student Enrollment
Be sure to sign up for our middle school admissions mailing list at schools.nyc.gov/SignUp.
Recordings from the Middle School fairs on Dec. 7th, 8th, and 9th.😊
How to Apply
How to Apply
- Log in to your MySchools (Open external link)account to access your child's personalized search and application––learn how to create or access your account in this video tutorial(Open external link).
- Explore your school options. Your customized search in MySchools includes all the programs your child can apply to. Each school's MySchools page links to its own website, and many schools offer resources like open house calendars or virtual tours. You can also contact schools directly to ask questions.
- Save programs to your Favorites list in by clicking the stars next to their names.
- Learn about 2022 admissions updates, including a new priority for siblings!
- Add up to 12 favorite programs to your child's application, and place them in your true order of preference, with your top choice as #1.
- Apply by the March 1 deadline! You can submit your application one of three ways:
- Online with MySchools(Open external link). We recommend this option! Watch this video to learn how to apply through MySchools. (Open external link)
- Through your current school counselor (for current public school families)
- Through a Family Welcome Center (for private and parochial school families)
Welcome to Middle School Admission
In New York City, most students apply to middle school during their fifth grade year. Learn more about the middle school admissions process in our video series, and scroll down for the latest admissions information and updates.
NYC MYSchools: https://www.myschools.nyc/en/
Online directory: https://www.myschools.nyc/en/schools/middle-school/
Watch the NYC Middle School Admissions Video Series
Welcome to Middle School Admissions
- The middle school application is not yet open, and it no longer closes on December 4, 2020.
- You will have additional time to apply.
- We appreciate your patience and will update this page with more detailed information and a timeline as soon as we can.
- Sign up for our middle school admissions email list(Open external link) and we'll notify you when the application opens! You will also get updates, key date reminders, and tips throughout the admissions process.
Need a school now? Learn what to do on our New Students page.
What You Can Do Now
- Explore schools and programs with the searchable MySchools middle school directory.(Open external link) You don't need an account to start browsing!
- Search. Type any school's name in the search box to learn more about it. Search for schools by features or offerings, such as "debate" or "band."
- Filter. Use the filter buttons below the search box to narrow down the list of schools based on what is important to you, such as accessibility, location near a specific subway line, sports offered, and more.
- Learn where your child can apply to middle school. In NYC, students are eligible to apply to middle school in their middle school district (based on their home address) and, when different, in the district where they currently attend elementary school.
- Use this map tool (Open external link) to look up your child's school district(s).
- Find your middle school district. Enter your child's home address in the search bar to display their district number and any zoned middle schools they may have. Your child can apply to all middle schools in this district.
- Find your elementary school district. Enter the name of your child's current school in the search bar to display its district. If this differs from their middle school district, your child can apply to middle schools in both of these districts.
- Watch our NYC Middle School Admissions Video Series—scroll up to the top of this page to view. We'll walk you through the steps of applying to middle school in New York City.
- We're here to help! Call us at 718-935-2009
Who Can Apply?
All New York City children are guaranteed a seat at a public middle school. Apply to middle school when your child is in their last year of elementary school. Your child must be both of the following to apply:
- A current New York City resident
- A current fifth grade student, or a current sixth grade student if their elementary school ends in sixth grade
All of the following students are welcome to apply to middle school: current public district and charter school students, private or parochial school students, students with disabilities, students with accessibility needs, students learning English, students in temporary housing, and LGBTQ and gender nonconforming students.
Find Middle Schools
Middle school offers students opportunities to explore their interests, discover new subjects, and learn more about themselves. Apply online to middle schools with your child’s personalized middle school application.
Schools on Your Application
In your child’s personalized online application, you’ll be able to see and explore every middle school program that they’re eligible to apply for and, if they get an offer, to attend. Middle schools have different eligibility criteria:
- District schools offer a program or programs open only to students in the district where your family is zoned for middle school and, when different, in the district where your child goes to public elementary school.
- Boroughwide schools offer a program or programs that are open to all students in your borough.
- Citywide schools offer a program or programs open to all NYC students.
Some schools or programs require an additional test or audition. Learn more on each school’s website or in the NYC Middle School Directory; scroll down to find the directory for your district. You can schedule some of these additional admissions requirements in MySchools, our new online application system.
For Bronx Students and Families. Starting in fall 2019, all Bronx students and residents are eligible to apply to all Bronx middle schools. If your child is a Bronx student or resident, this means:
- All Bronx middle schools will appear as options for your child's middle school application.
- All students who live or go to school in a Bronx district will have an admissions priority to attend middle schools in that district or districts.
- If seats remain, applicants who live and go to school in other Bronx districts will then be considered for admission.
Diversity in Middle School Admissions
Middle schools across the city are participating in an initiative to increase diversity within their programs—learn more on our Diversity in Admissions page.
Charter schools have a separate admissions process. Contact charter schools directly to learn how to apply.
Your Middle School Choices
- MySchools(Open external link). During the application period, use MySchools to learn which district (1-32) your child is zoned to for middle school, find choices for your application, and apply. Learn your child's zoned middle school any time of year by entering your address here.
- Use last year's guide to start exploring programs in your district and learn about middle school admissions, including admissions methods and priorities for specific middle schools. For the most up-to-date admissions information, please refer to MySchools.
- Alternative Middle Schools. Learn about programs for students older than 13 who have not yet completed eighth grade.
Learn About Schools' Virtual Events and Resources
*Due to the ongoing pandemic, we encourage you to visit schools' websites to learn more about them.*
Most years, visiting a school can help you learn if it may be the right place for your child. It’s also a great way to see how long the trip is from home. This year, please contact schools directly for the most recent information, such as whether they will hold virtual open houses or information sessions.
How to Apply
Most NYC students apply to middle school during their fifth grade year, or if different, their final year of elementary school.
The middle school application period for students applying this year to enter middle school in fall 2021 is not yet open.
In your child's personalized online application, you can see and explore every middle school program that they are eligible to apply for and, if they get an offer, to attend. From these options, you can add up to 12 middle school programs to your child’s application. Add the programs that interest you and your child the most and rank them in your true order of preference in the application.
- Consider adding the programs where your child has an admissions priority or guarantee, such as their zoned school(s) or continuing school. You do not have to place any of these programs as your first choice to keep your priority.
- Make an appointment to talk to your child's school counselor. Discuss your child's middle school application choices and how you plan to rank them.
- Use MySchools to explore your child's middle school options.
- Read last year's Middle School Admissions Guide—PDF and accessible versions are available below.
During the application period, you can apply in English, Spanish, Chinese, Bengali, Russian, Arabic, Urdu, Haitian Creole, Korean, or French in MySchools(Open external link). If you would like to apply using another language, call us and ask for an interpreter.
Questions? We're here to help.
- Talk to your Parent Coordinator
- Call us at 718-935-2009
- Contact a Family Welcome Center
Learn How Students Get Offers
Watch the following animations to see how students get offers to DOE public schools—learn why your middle school application choices matter and find out about other factors, such as admissions priorities, admissions methods, and seat availability.
Please note: 2019-2020 attendance and punctuality will NOT impact applications to middle or high schools for current 5th and 8th graders who will be applying to middle and high school this school year (for fall 2021 admissions).
In the spring, students get their middle school offers. All applicants get a middle school offer; most students get an offer to attend one of the programs ranked on their middle school application, but it is not guaranteed. Your child's offer letter will also include a list of programs where they’ve been waitlisted.
- Your child is automatically on the waitlist for any program that you listed higher on their application than the program where they received an offer. For example, if your child received an offer to your third-choice program, they are automatically waitlisted at your first-choice and second-choice programs.
- After initial offers are made and waitlists open, you can add your child to additional waitlists. (However, please note that your child's best chance of getting an offer to any program is to include it as a choice on their original application.)
- You can also check your child's place on the waitlist for any school, in real time.
- Waitlist offers are made based on seat availability, as well as the same admissions priorities and admissions methods listed in MySchools(Open external link) and the Middle School Admissions Guides (posted below).
- Schools will be in touch directly if a seat opens up and they can make your child a waitlist offer.
Learn more on our Waitlists page and by watching the tutorial that follows:
NYC Middle School Admissions Bronx Guide- In All Languages💗
NYC Middle School Admissions Bronx Guide
JHS 123 Open House - Jan. 13th
in-Person: Jan. 13th
Address: 1025 Morrison Ave. Bronx, NY 10472