Welcome to Ms. McGrath's Science Class
Unit 2: Pushes and Pulls
Essential Question: Why do things move in different ways?
C1. How do we make a pinball start to move?
- What makes an object start to move?
C2. How do we make a pinball move as far as we want?
- What makes an object move shorter or longer distances?
C3. How do we make pinball move to a certain place?
- What makes an object start moving in a certain direction?
- What makes an object move to a certain place?
C4. How do we make a moving pinball change direction?
- What can make a moving object change direction?
C5. How can we make a pinball machine do all the things we want it to do?
- How do engineers make their solutions do all the things they want them to do?
C6. Where are forces around us?
- Where are forces in the world?
Unit 2: Light and Sound
Essential Question: How can we use light and sound to design shadow scenery and sound effects for a puppet theater?
C1. How do we make brighter or darker areas on a surface?
What makes something look bright or dark?
Where does the light come from that makes surfaces look bright or dark?
What makes a surface look bright or dark?
C2. How do we make a dark area in a bright puppet show scene?
- How do we stop light from getting to one part of a surface?
C3. How do we make bright, medium bright, and dark areas in a puppet show scene?
- How do materials make areas on a surface that are not dark?
C4. How do we design a sound source to go with a puppet show scene?
What happens when something starts making a sound?
How do we make different vibrations to make different kinds of sounds for our puppet show scenes?
Unit 2: Plant and Animal Relationships
Essential Question: How do living things in a habitat depend on each other?
C1. Why aren’t new chalta trees growing in the Bengal tiger reserve?
How do scientists study habitats?
How do new plants grow?
C2. Why aren’t the chalta seeds getting what they need to grow?
How do plants get the sunlight and water they need to grow?
Why can’t plants always get the sunlight and water they need to grow?
C3. Why aren’t the chalta seeds getting to the places where they can grow?
- How can seeds get to new places in their habitats?
C4. How are other seeds in the reserve able to get to places where they can grow?
- How do seeds that animals don’t use for food get dispersed?